What if we told you that there are certain fats that are good for you?
No, please don’t stop your workout, you need to burn those extras!
But yes, there are certain fats that are good for your health and body. And we know them as Omega-3.
What is Omega-3 ?
Omega-3 fats are the healthy kind of fats. They are polyunsaturated fatty acids usually found in seafood and in some types of nuts. There are 3 types of these fats, hence the name Omega-3, these are:
- Alenolenic Acid – ALA – found in plant oils
- Eicosapentaenoic Acid – EPA- found in marine oils
- Docosahexaenoic Acid – DHA- found in marine oils
These are all polyunsaturated fats, which are basically the healthy form of fats which are utilized well in your body, for its growth and the development of different body parts. The saturated fats are the unhealthy form of fats, which require you to continue your workout and burn them out.
But why should you have Omega-3?
Omega-3 is very useful for the body. And here is why:
- It improves cell communication.
- It keeps your brain and heart healthy and functioning.
- It helps in reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- It helps in building muscles.
- It helps in reducing ADHD symptoms.
- It keeps your joints healthy and well oiled.
- It helps you stay fit and lean.
- It lowers inflammation in the body.
- It improves your blood lipids.
- It works as the body’s signal system
- It makes fat based tissues like the ones in our brain and the fatty sheath that insulates our spinal cord and nerves.
- It helps in making hormones like testosterone and estrogen.
- It makes the membranes for all our cells.
- It helps in improving our metabolism.
- It helps in maintaining our blood sugar levels.
- The fat composition can affect the nerve impulses and how they are transmitted. This further affects our mood and mental health.
Thus, Omega-3 are clearly some of the most important fats in our body. Which means they need to be consumed in healthy quantities. But which are the foods that are rich in Omega-3?
Foods rich in Omega-3
The main two divisions of food that are rich in Omega-3 are:
- Seeds and Nuts
Under these two categories we have the following foods that are super rich in Omega-3:
- SEEDS AND NUTS
- Walnuts – A healthy serving of walnuts is mostly 6-7 pieces. Which means about 12-14 halves. Thus, one serving of walnuts has as much as 28 grams of Omega-3.
- Flaxseeds or flaxseed oil- A healthy serving of flaxseeds is about a tablespoon, same for the flaxseed oil. One serving of flaxseeds/ flaxseed oil consists of 10-13 grams of Omega-3. They have a great amount of Omega-3 in them, as in comparison to most of the seed sources.
- Soybean – The serving may vary, but a good enough serving for soybeans could be ½ a cup. In a half a cup serving, you can gain about 47 grams of Omega-3.
- Chia seeds- Again, the serving of chia seeds used by you might vary, so, in terms of ounces, chia seeds consist 2I grams of Omega-3 per ounce.
- Mackerel- It is a small, but a fatty fish. One piece of salted mackerel consists of 100 grams of Omega-3.
- Salmon- Salmon is said to be one of the most nutrient dense foods in the world. Half a fillet of cooked salmon contains 100 grams of Omega-3.
- Oyesters- They are one of the most nutritious foods one can have. If you take a serving of about 5-6 raw oyesters,you can gain 100 grams of Omega-3.
- Sardines- These are very small and oily fishes. One cup of canned sardines consists of 100 grams of Omega-3.
- Anchovies- These are fishes that are small in size and are mostly bought dried or canned. One can of anchovies consists of 100 grams of Omega-3.
Hence we see, Omega-3 is a powerful weapon that we have in our hands, which if we consume judiciously can do wonders for our body. Who thought we would say this for a type of Fat? But here we are. We have immense sources to gain Omega-3, so keep working out and shedding the saturated fats off of yourself and keep eating consuming the good fat- Omega-3.