What if we told you that there are foods that are absolute powerhouses of all the nutrients together?
You will be shocked right!
So get ready to be shocked because such foods exist. They are called SUPERFOODS!
These are foods that are extremely beneficial for human health due to their exceptionally high nutrient density. Eating superfoods enriches our bodies with all the much-needed nutrients and makes density. These are foods that are packed with all sorts of vitamins, minerals, fibres, antioxidants and good carbs. Foods having a high health quotient doesn’t mean they are free of calories. All foods have calories, just that some have a minimal healthy amount while others have a rather high amount which might be risky for your health. But that’s why these are called Superfoods, because they have low-calorie content and high nutrient density, making them super healthy for us, hence the name Superfoods.
So which are these Superfoods that are so amazing for our health?
10 Superfoods that are super healthy for us are:
- Green Leafy Vegetables
- Some of the green veggies that are Superfoods are: Spinach, kale, mustard greens, swiss chard
- Nutrition Quotient:
Green leafy vegetables are a major source of Vitamin A, varients of Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, dietary fibre.
- You can eat them in the form of soups, sauteed veggies, or best, churn them into a juice or add them to your smoothie bowls, include them into your salad, sprinkle some olive oil and enjoy!
- Legumes that are considered Superfoods include:
Kidney beans, black beans, red beans, soybean, peas and garbanzo beans.
- Nutrient Quotient:
Vitamin C, Iron, Calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B-6, Vitamin A and Iron
- You can include in your meal the form of soups and stews. Use pureed beans as a base for dips, add them to salads, cook them like pulses, cook the beans and make curries, or make fritters.
3. Nuts and Seeds
- Nuts and seeds that are considered Superfoods are:
Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews, pecans, Brazil Nuts, and macadamia nuts. As far as seeds are concerned, chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, and flax seeds. Peanuts are also a part of this category.
- Nutrient Quotient:
Vitamin E, Vitamin B-6, iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and dietary fibre. They are also rich in dietary proteins, mono and polyunsaturated fats. They are low in saturated fats.
- They can be incorporated into your diet in the form of a healthy snack to munch on but not in very high quantities. You can have them in the form of various nut butter, add them to yoghurt, eat roasted nuts, and they can also be added to your salads.
- Basic homemade yoghurt can be a superfood in itself. It is healthy to consume and keeps your nutrient tanks filled.
- Nutrient Quotient
It has calcium, Vitamin B-6, Cobalamin, magnesium, sodium and potassium. Fermented and probiotic-rich foods like Yogurt help in reducing cholesterol, lowering blood pressure and improves your digestive system.
- They can be made a part of your meals like a side to your main dish, instead of mayonnaise you can use a hung curd dip, you can simply add cut up fruits to your yoghurt and eat it, you can make flavoured yoghurt at home with homemade fruit puree and enjoy. But preferably stay away from flavoured yoghurts available in markets as they contain high levels of sugars.